The purpose of academic advising is to assist the student in planning his/her program of study so that all degree, diploma or certificate requirements can be completed.
- New students will meet with a New Student Academic Advisor in Student Services prior to their first semester and through the initial add/drop period. If a new student wishes to change his/her schedule, drop a course, add a course, inquire about remaining courses in his/her program, or make any changes in that program, he/she must see the Advising Center Advisor first.
- The New Student Academic Advisor will engage in life/career exploration to make sure that the student is in the correct program.
- The New Student Academic Advisor will discuss program/degree requirements, placement based on SAT/ACT/Transfer credit/placement test results or multiple measures, and create a first semester educational plan, and offer additional test preparation options.
- The New Student Academic Advisor will explain the advising process.
- The New Student Academic Advisor will discuss next steps, including Orientation and OCtech Self service and Desire2Learn (D2L) and registration.
- A New Student Academic Advisor will usually be able to assist with a variety of academic problems or concerns. Professional counselors are available Monday – Thursday 8:00am-6:00pm and Friday 8:00am-1:30pm. Students are urged to make an appointment with a New Student Academic Advisor to explore career options and discuss academic choices. Confidentiality is assured at all times.